It has long been rumored that Wellsville was named for it’s vast history in the petroleum industry. However, the real story is in 1832 a group of leaders met at Van Buren’s Tavern to choose a name for their community. They selected “Wellsville” after Gardiner Wells who was one of the first settlers and largest landowner. Wells built the first log house on Main Street and in 1833 the first frame house in Wellsville. The Village of Wellsville was incorporated from the Town on October 12, 1857. In 1870 the Village of Wellsville had a population of 3,781 residents. On April 27, 1871 the Village Trustee’s formed the Wellsville Police Department which has been serving the residents of village since.